Thread: SW MP 15 - 22
View Single Post

Old 06-25-2011, 01:03 PM

Liked 20,623 Times in 5,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8th SPS USAF View Post
So thinking of getting a 15-22 w/TB for my suppessor. I read alot of the owners were sending these back several times. Also thinking of the Sig 522, more $$$ . I would like
some feedback please. Thank you

Well.... I have both and shoot both with a can.

If the ONLY criteria was for the can, I would go with the 15-22 because the action is quieter with the bolt banging back on a piece of plastic rather than the Sig's bolt banging back on steel. Someone was going to make us some bolt shock buffers (not for sound reduction mind you, but for wear prevention) but I haven't seen them yet. The 15-22 action kinda has a 'clunk' sound. The Sig has a sharp 'clack'. Some may read this as silly, but you really notice these things absent muzzle report. One thing about the Sig is that the stock folds so you can leave the can on the rifle and still use the shorter rifle cases. For example, all I have to do is fold the stock and the Sig will fit into it's 33in rifle case. Can't do that with the 15-22.

The 15-22 is light weight and an AR platform. If those are high on the priority list then that's the best choice. The Sig is a full pound heavier and that includes the 8oz of factory sights that the 15-22 wears compared to the Sig with no sights. IMO, the stock on the Sig is much more user friendly because it's sits lower-- you don't need risers for optics, and ear muffs aren't getting in the way so much. Both rifles are reliable. The Sig is more accurate with a wide array of ammo, and the manual does not include a list of ammo not to use . My Sig SWAT version of the 522 is significantly more expensive than the 15-22, but the swiss version (no quad rail) isn't.

I could not chose... so I bought both.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 06-25-2011 at 01:25 PM.