View Single Post

Old 06-26-2011, 02:00 AM
US Veteran

Liked 3,380 Times in 1,736 Posts

I bought a can of dupont heavy duty rubbing compound and a can of dupont polishing compound. I take an well worn bore brush and wrap one of the military style cleaning patch around it. Then liberally coat the patch with the red rubbing compound. Run it back and forth in the bbl for about 40 strokes. Clean out all the nasty black stuff and leave a little hoppe's in the bore. You may have to repeat the heavy stuff to get all the crud out of the bbl. Your patches will come out looking like a coal mine. When you are ready do the same patch procedure and liberally coat the patch with the polishing compound. 40 strokes back and forth then clean out with hoppe's soaked patches on a jag as you will get the blackest, junk you ever saw. May take a few trials but while it will not remove any pitting it will clean up your bbl and gives you a chance to really see what you are dealing with. I have done this to a bunch of bbls one krag who's rifling I swear got deeper as I cleaned it, one garand, and a couple revolver bbls. Just remember these compounds were used on car finishes. But will clean your bbl. Frank