View Single Post

Old 06-28-2011, 08:29 PM

Liked 4,301 Times in 2,112 Posts

I am the Knucklehead that the OP was referring to posting on another forum.

Now, the points that I was trying to make. I should also note that I was basing my statement on the assumption that the query was for opinions on a standard production model 29. My normal preference for barrel length in a revolver is 4 inches because I like they way they "handle". Keep that in mind. In hindsight I should have asked about what barrel length was the subject of the query. However, even with a 6 1/2 inch semi lugged barrel the model 29 can be what I find to be a bit brutal with a heavy Magnum.

1) The model 29 and it's siblings are the revolvers most prone to developing End Shake when used with a heavy diet of 44 Magnums. IMO it's a result of the Yoke Tube peening and not a result of the frame stretching. I also stated that it's not a safety issue, simply something that someone using this model with a steady diet of heavy Magnum loads need to be cognizant of and something they need to keep an eye on.

Now I ask you, what model yields the most posts about End Shake on this forum. Number one is the 44 Magnums and number two is probably the 686 due to it's popularity.

2) I've never actually met someone who only shot 44 Magnum loads in their S&W 44 Magnums. Seen lots of claims on the net but apparently they don't live in Ohio or Michigan. In fact I've only seen full house 44 Magnums used for just 20-30 rounds, after that the shooter moved to 44 spl. or equivalent loads in a 44 Magnum case. Since the difference in volume and muzzle flash is quite obvious, it's pretty easy to tell when the shooter has backed off on what he's shooting. BTW, I've also never seen any 460 or 500 Magnum shooter expend more than 10 rounds in one range session, however I expect there are people on the net who claim to shoot 100 rounds or more in one range session.

There are some shooters here who have posted extensive use of 44 Magnums for steel silhouette shooting and I do not doubt them one bit. However, a model 29 with an 8 3/8 inch barrel is considerably heavier than a model 29 with a 4 inch barrel. In fact I expect that the long barreled model 29 would feel a lot like a 4 inch 44 Magnum X frame. It's the mass of that long barrel that made extensive use of 44 Magnums tolerable and your experience isn't quite the same as shooting the 44 Magnum in a shorter barrel.

Finally, when the 44 Magnum and the model 19 were designed the Standard Operating Principle was to use the Magnums for serious work and practice with the Specials. Design decisions made in the 50's that were perfectly reasoned have proven somewhat marginal in light of the way that shooters today operate their guns. Quite simply, IMO the model 29 and it's siblings are great 44 spl. revolvers that can be used on occasion with 44 Magnums. If someone wants to shoot purely 44 Magnums, they need to be aware of it's tendancy to develop End Shake and maintain it properly. If that's done, I see no reason why they won't last well beyond any or our lifetimes.

As for the cylinder unlocking, that issue was well resolved with the Endurance Package and this was carried on with the production models following the development of the Endurance Package. BTW, I expect that problem was most prevalent in the shorter barrel lengths because mass does a lot to tone down recoil reaction forces.

Finally, I've shot just 1 round of 44 Magnum at the urging of a friend. That was enough for me, I don't have any need to beat myself silly and have enough accumulated wrist injuries to know better. However, that 6 1/2 inch model 29 loaded with 44 spl. was a real cupcake to shoot and a real hoot. BTW, that friend also tried to talk me into trying his 4 inch 460, however after feeling the effect of a 44 Magnum in that model 29 those urgings fell on deaf ears.

If you all want to call me a Wimp, go ahead. However, at 56 years old I am directly aware of the result of long term repetive stress injuries to the hand and wrist because I live with the effect every single day. Quite simply, once you pass 50 you learn that some of the things you did in your 20's and 30's while lots of fun extract a price when you get older.

In closing, I'll stand by my opinion, That the model 29 is a great 44 spl. and use of full house Magnums should either be limited or done with the thought that it will increase the maintenance requirement. I also think the 4 and 6 1/2 inch versions are too light for the energy that the 44 Magnum can produce. I'll grant that this is the opinion of someone who does have some wrist injuries, however in another 20 years you may find yourself with those same injuries. BTW, mild Tunnel Carpal, Both Wrists AND arthrytis at the base of the thumb on Each Hand. Personally, if I ever do purchase a model 629, it's going to be treated as a 44 spl..

Last edited by scooter123; 06-28-2011 at 09:02 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: