View Single Post

Old 06-28-2011, 08:43 PM

Liked 1,921 Times in 1,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M29since14 View Post
No! What most people who consider themselves "sixgunners" want is the S&W equivalent of the Model 29 that will stand up to a true .45-caliber magnum, like the .454 Casull cartridge, in basically the same fashion the 29 does with the original 44 Magnum. (At least among the folks I know.)

Beyond that power level, the gun will cease to be a sixgun and becomes more a mutation between handgun and carbine, doing the job of neither as well as the other two.

Not being an engineer, I can only theorize, but it would seem possible to make a slightly beefier gun, similar to an N-frame, that would still be practical to wear on a belt, for the (mythic) "average size man." The X-frame is just too big and too heavy to be practical.

Having to tune up a finely made gun every 3000 or so rounds is really no great hardship. The Model 29 does what it does just fine. Let's not tamper with it.
"Yes or no on this, I would still love to see S&W make an L frame equivialnt to the N frame... "

Didn't you just say the same thing as what I was trying to say??? I was trying to say an L change from a K so it would go from an N to (?) with more steel where ever the engineers deemed it was needed. I'm not trying to say make a six shot X frame .44 Magnum... Maybe a X frame .444 Marlin, but that's different. I will say it different. We took the 66 and made the 686... Do that for the 29/629...