View Single Post

Old 07-01-2011, 01:06 PM

Liked 71 Times in 32 Posts

Finally took time to sit down and read this entire thread, and it is some very good work indeed! Thanks, Brian, for a great write-up. Wish I could go back 30 years with test data, but I'm not sure I would have been able to distinguish between a chronograph and a TV antenna back then! (Remember "regular" TV antennas??)

I found all the data & analysis interesting, but of course must single out the 200g bullet info for special mention :-) I've recently cast some 200g LSWC (from a group buy mold on Cast Boolits) and can only imagine how many milk jugs they would smash through at your velocities! They'd probably still be traveling. . . .I didn't calculate free recoil on your loads, but think that it would provide a good excuse to buy an old N-frame .38-44! Maybe you can treat yourself to one to commemorate the project. . . ?

It's always interesting to see how different loads seem to have sweet spots, and like you I noticed that the 5" barrel seems to let a lot of loads show off with optimum velocities and tiny ES/SD numbers. The 4" is also a great platform, isn't it?

Thanks for all the effort & I'll be certain to bookmark this thread!

Dana