View Single Post

Old 07-05-2011, 03:41 PM

Liked 1,025 Times in 510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Richard View Post
For those sanded ones that will have little ugly bubbles/spots. A little coat of Krylon plastic spray paint can do wonders. I have a Tyler aluminum that I wanted black. It is now.
Thanks for this suggestion, H Richard. I finally found some gloss black Krylon (their "Fusion" line is for plastics) at WalMart - local Lowes or Home Depot don't carry Krylon, only RustOleum- and sprayed a few of my non-tinted (clear) castoffs. First impression - it takes 2 coats to make the clear models fully opaque, and still does not "fill" the microscopic bubble holes or cover any other surface irregularities. But it does make surface irregularities a bit less obvious. And I think it looks really nice.

The can says that after 7 days it is "fully chip resistant," whatever that means.

There is a Fusion "metallic shimmer" line with "nickel shimmer" (gray/silver) and "blonde shimmer" (gold) colors. Krylon also offers two other non-Fusion lines that they say work on plastic - a "metallic" line that includes a "silver metallic" color, which looks blue in the online swatch, and a "premium metallic" line that includes "silver foil", "original chrome" and "sterling silver" colors. One of those might work well for stainless and/or alloy framed guns.

Bottom line - I don't think I will be offering painted models (it's enough for me to keep track of orders for black ones at this point) but for those of you who want something a little different it's a pretty cheap modification. A spray can of "regular" fusion was $4.75 - don't know if the metallics are a bit higher.