View Single Post

Old 07-06-2011, 08:22 AM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrafsr View Post
I was in from Jun 63 to Jun 67, and carried a Model 15 when I worked Town Patrol while stationed at Clark Air Base, PI. I also carried a Model 15 when I worked Law Enforcement at Webb AFB, TX. I do not remember if the guns had TT & TH though. Back then we were called Air Police whether we worked Law Enforcement or Security.
In the immortal words of Gary Cooper...yup.

And at the bases where I was, I worked law enforcement one day and security the next. Same uniform. I never wore fatigues on duty until I was transferred to a base in Newfoundland. The only post we had there was Desk Sgt./Access Controller to the radar room.

Most of our security augmentees barely remembered how to work the .30 carbine, and didn't care. None of them knew how to operate the .45 auto, which was still the issue handgun there. I worried quite a bit about what would happen if a Soviet sub landed spetznaz forces to take us out before their bombers came. The purpose of our radar site was to detect incoming enemy aircraft, and they often tried to find holes in our defenses. When they were spotted, the Weapons Control Officer in the dome called F-106's down from Goose Bay to run them back out to sea.

Last edited by Texas Star; 07-06-2011 at 08:31 AM.