View Single Post

Old 07-06-2011, 03:20 PM
US Veteran

Liked 9,201 Times in 2,374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Star View Post
In the immortal words of Gary Cooper...yup.

And at the bases where I was, I worked law enforcement one day and security the next. Same uniform. I never wore fatigues on duty until I was transferred to a base in Newfoundland. The only post we had there was Desk Sgt./Access Controller to the radar room.

Most of our security augmentees barely remembered how to work the .30 carbine, and didn't care. None of them knew how to operate the .45 auto, which was still the issue handgun there. I worried quite a bit about what would happen if a Soviet sub landed spetznaz forces to take us out before their bombers came. The purpose of our radar site was to detect incoming enemy aircraft, and they often tried to find holes in our defenses. When they were spotted, the Weapons Control Officer in the dome called F-106's down from Goose Bay to run them back out to sea.
The first night I was at Ben Hoa AB, VN, we were hit by mortars. I was put in charge of about 20 personnel, and we were stationed along a fence line. The personnel were cooks, clerks, etc., and most of them didn't know what to do with an M2 carbine or an AR15. I told them not to load their weapons, which some did not know how to do, and prayed a lot. One Ssgt was given a new AR15, and he knew absolutely nothing about it and had never seen one till then. It was a long night, but fortunately all we got were mortars and not ground troops coming in afterwards.