View Single Post

Old 07-07-2011, 03:17 PM

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
In addition to the reliable feeding the others have mentioned, the 357SIG round is extremely accurate, flat shooting, and holds its velocity/accuracy with distance. It really shines in barrier penetration.
That covers most of it to me. I bought a long slide Glock 35 in .40 S&W. I put a few hundred rounds through it. Then I had Jarvis fit one of his custom .357 SIG barrels to it. I keep the .40 S&W barrel in the bag "just in case" but I use the .357 SIG barrel _at least_ 10-1 over the .40 S&W. Some of that is just "nice to be different" since it seems like 90% of the LEO's in the world carry the .40.

My normal CCW is a .44 Special revolver. (S&W M296 Airweight) But I have a bug out bag with the Glock 35 and the two barrels in it. Whole bunch of Glock 31 mags loaded up with the Speer Gold Dot load (the one the Air Marshal's use). I still haven't shot a deer with that cartridge but everything else I've used it on was very impressed. I've got my .44 snub for up close and personal. If I'm going somewhere far away or at night, I throw the bag with the Glock in the vehicle. Then I can engage targets much further out there. And I've got a whole lot more repeat shots.

I don't discount that higher degree of penetration at all. If the good guy in the Tyler, TX shooting had had my Glock in .357 SIG, his bullets would have gone through the bad guy's ballistic vests. The bad guy would be dead instead of the good guy. Same thing for somebody trying to use a vehicle for cover. I live in a very, very sparsely populated rural area. If you get in trouble out on a dirt road somewhere, you are on your own. If the bad guys are blocking you in with pickups, you just might need some real penetration. Or a longer effective range than a typical CCW gun.

I do reload .357 SIG. I should try those Dillon dies but they are expensive. Right now I'm using a combination of .357 SIG and .40 S&W dies. That way I can size the base using the .40 S&W dies (carbide) and not need to lube that part. Just need a little bit of lube on the necks for the .357 SIG die. The whole process does end up being multiple steps so it does take a lot more time than 9mm or .45 ACP. But I really enjoy the round so I'm not going to complain about that.

Somebody already mentioned how the .357 SIG has been quite effective in real life shootings. More than you would expect if you just look at the lab results. My experience has been the same. I used to shoot a lot of medium size vermin with a .357 Magnum revolver with 125 grain JHP's and it was deadly. Guess I shouldn't be surprised that .357 SIG and Gold Dots gives me the same basic results.

Agree the round has a heck of a muzzle blast. Standing off to the side at 90 degrees to the muzzle will hammer you even when you are wearing muffs. You can feel the physical push on your ear drum. I was shooting with a buddy who was switching back and forth between 9mm and .357 SIG. I was wearing high quality ear plugs and was off to his left. I could tell immediately which cartridge was being fired just from the "rap" of the blast wave from the SIG. It would be overwhelming in a tight and enclosed area. If you fired one in a closed up car, you might end up with blood coming out of your ears! I keep wondering what it will be like if one of those Air Marshals has to fire a few rounds inside a plane....

Oh, and I paid the big bucks to have a custom DI AR-15 made up to shoot .357 SIG. Using a LW lower and using my Glock mags. Heck of a fun little firearm. I had it made up by Ron Williams as a pistol so that I could turn it into a SBR. Just haven't gotten around to the paperwork yet. If I was an LEO and could carry a .357 SIG, I would want that little rifle to be in my trunk.

Gregg
The Following User Likes This Post: