View Single Post

Old 07-10-2011, 04:50 PM
US Veteran

Liked 5,590 Times in 2,562 Posts

Last winter, I bought an XP-100 in 7mm Rem BR with a really nice-looking walnut stock, perhaps factory but I really don't know. Nice trigger, Wichita rear, front Lyman on a screwed-up base relocated to the muzzle of the pistol. I had to get a different-height Lyman and return the base to where it came from, but I finally got it all ironed out. Had what I thought I always wanted, a long-range pistol with a Wichita four-position rear sight. Only it really didn't match my eyesight and spectacle choice. So I packed up the Wichita and its three Allen wrenches, and mounted a nearly perfect Leupold M8-2x EER [Thanks, buffalo4star!], and proceeded to learn that this XP-100 is good for better than MOA at 200, 100 and 50 yards. And that's with a 2x scope, with which I barely feel that I can see that well. No telling what this gun would do with a higher-power scope, but I want something fairly light and usable at moderate ranges, so I'm pretty sure that I'll be sticking with the 2x.

I didn't dicker with the seller over price, but he included Wilson dies, 100 cases and a few hundred bullets. The great load I shot with was the one he had worked up. It loads quickly and painlessly with H335 dropped by my Harrell's, has a beautiful stock and beautiful performance. It's not leaving any time soon.