View Single Post

Old 07-14-2011, 10:46 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,699 Times in 2,623 Posts

Glad to offer my opinion. I think I would top out around $900 on that revolver, but that's just me looking at this particular gun. There have been times that I have paid a big premium for a gun I really wanted just to make sure that somebody else didn't get it.

Through the glass that gun looks like it has the matte or satin finish. There was also an optional high polish finish available for these Pre-23s. I would go higher for a high-polish specimen if I came across it, but that's the collector speaking. If I wanted a good N-frame .38 to both appreciate and shoot, I'd go for one with a satin finish.

I hope GLL comes in with a value estimate; he knows more about prewar and postwar ODs than I ever will.

By the way, on the rarity issue: if I recall, S&W made about 6000 of these short action postwar ODs, pre-23 and model marked 23 combined. That's not high production, but I wouldn't call this a rare model in light of the conservative demand for them. A few people are passionate about these heavy frame .38 Specials -- I'm one -- but others just don't get it. They'd rather have a .357 Magnum that can shoot both .38 Special and the stouter load as well.