View Single Post

Old 07-15-2011, 10:50 AM
US Veteran

Liked 65 Times in 32 Posts

I believe it has some importantance on accuracy and even feeding. I used to shoot some bullseye and worked the loads for my guns on a Ransom rest. I have seen different brass make a difference when using the same bullets, powder and primers. I have also seen brass differences have an impact on feeding in some guns. My working theory on this is centered on differences in case length, throat thickness and case thickness in general - they all vary. Nickel cases are also harder than full brass. If you are reloading different brass all at the same time with the same press set up this can particularly become an issue. Is it a big difference - depends on what you are looking for. Spend some time on a Ransom Rest and i think you'll agree. Not specifically brass related but I used only CCI Standard Velocity in my S&W 41. At 25 yds in the rest it would hold a group under and inch all day. Run some Federal Hi-Vel jacketed rounds through it and the group would open up to about 4".
Needless to say I sort my brass - I even try not to mix different lots of the same head stamp (got some German in me too ).