View Single Post

Old 07-15-2011, 10:55 AM

Liked 1,921 Times in 1,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Griffith View Post
I use it in a 15lb Thumler's model B.

Pros: It works extremely well and is very quick compared to dry vibratory cleaners- the stainless media even cleans the primer pockets. If you have slightly corroded cases, it will make them look new again and take off stains that can't be removed any other way. Three to four hours is all it takes to clean the worst looking and corroded brass that can be found. Add lemi-shine to clean it, and a teaspoon of Dawn to cut the surface tension so the crud won't stick to the cases.

Cons: It is a lot of trouble to separate it from the brass- if you are say cleaning .38's or the like. It must be dried when not in use, or it will rust. Also it tends to "stick" to your hands and inside the cases when they are just damp- not a problem when dry. Each case has to be inspected to make 100% certain that there is not one piece of it in the case. A piece of this in the case that made it's way into the gun could be disastrous! Also, never never tumble two calibers at the same time- the smaller cases will end up in the larger ones and the weight of stainless media will bend the cases- don't ask me how I know....

I have only regulated it to cleaning blackpowder brass and brass shotshells. It cleans blackpowder brass up so it looks brand new.

Bottom line- it won't replace the regular vibratory cleaner, but is a great asset to the reloader.
Your post just put a thorn in this idea. I have no idea how you rinse the stuff out... I guess over a fine mesh screen would be best. That could/would be a problem with them sticking though. Not sure how you would know short of inspecting the inside of each and every one... Crud...