View Single Post

Old 07-16-2011, 05:04 PM

Liked 3,814 Times in 1,243 Posts

Big fan boy of .44mag here. I have numerous mags and always have.

I got the itch to own a .44Spl some years back and finally did it.

99% of my shooting is at the range, I don't get to hunt like I used to, but I'll get back out soon.

Truth be told, factory .44Spl is WEAK and therefore the cartridge is not respected and for that reason it isn't as popular as it should be.

Seek out specialty loads or reload and you've got an entirely different creature, one that's not only pleasant to shoot, but effective downrange.

From the beginning of my magnum ownership, I made a light load in a magnum case. Who didn't read EK or SS back in the day? I took their info and made a 900fps 250g cast round using 7g W231 and a magnum case - I didn't have any Spl brass.

Very fun to shoot, but truth be told, I preferred magnum rounds, hot nasty, heavy magnums. Still do.

Now that I have a dedicated .44Spl., or two, I enjoy a 900fps round and my focus is accuracy.

Consider the .45Colt. It's no slouch. At 900fps with a 255g cast round, it can pass through a horse at 100 yards and have enough energy to kill the BG hiding behind it. Not bad for a non magnum.

The .44Spl., loaded with a 250g cast SWC @ 900fps is IDENTICAL - save for a slightly different BC and SD, which makes it a BETTER penetrator.

If you choose to go the .44Spl. route, you will not be disappointed or under gunned.