View Single Post

Old 07-20-2011, 02:44 AM

Liked 1,025 Times in 510 Posts
Default What about stainless steel tabs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcMack View Post
I'll interject some stuff about Tylers I've observed over the last 45 yrs. < snip >

2. The most important thing is to fit the Tyler as tight as possible without any wobble or the tabs WILL break.

< snip >

6. I'm therefore going to assume anything that applied to Tylers will apply to BK's
Question for users, especially any metallurgists who might be out there - should I consider switching to another material for these tabs? I hadn't thought about the possibility of breakage (after all, the tabs on my 50 year old Tyler are still intact.)

I am using copper because that's the way it's always been done. And, it's an easy material to work with simple hand tools and jigs. But I'm talking to a waterjet shop about having the things cut out of larger sheets (I've been shearing strips of copper, then drilling and cutting individual tabs before bending 'em in a jig.) They can cut any material I specify. So something like stainless steel ought to be feasible, if it makes sense.

The advantages of copper are that it won't rust and won't scratch a metal grip frame, even if there are some rough edges or burrs. Waterjet cuts leave a slight burr on the back side of the cut, and I'm told I'll have to sand that down if I want the tabs smooth on both sides - even with copper. But it can be done on a full sheet basis, before the tabs are individually snipped out, so it might not be too much trouble.

But what do you think about using stainless? It too wouldn't rust, and presumably would be stronger than copper and so should be less prone to breakage. Can you think of any downsides?

Thanks for any thoughts.