Thread: Mountain guns
View Single Post

Old 07-21-2011, 02:38 AM

Liked 5,242 Times in 2,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmann
[...] The very first MG I had was 29-8 (blued) with the 4 screw frame.
I have heard that the frame were left overs from a 'classic' run about the same time.
I never warmed up to it and one thing that stood out was it DIDN'T have the black powder beveled cylinder like my 629 does.
Other than the S&W Collectors' Association 25th Anniversary commemorative colt saa posted a picture of I had not heard of any blued .44 magnum Mountain Guns. Was your 29-8 marked "Mountain Gun"? It does sound like S&W used up left over parts and it may be one of a very small batch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasaman
Is this a 396 Mountain Lite considered a mountain gun?
No, a 396 is not a Mountain Gun. Like the Back Packer, Trail Boss and others, S&W chose to give those 396s their own model name, "Mountain Lite". Besides, all the revolvers that S&W has labeled "Mountain Guns" have 4" barrels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine49guy View Post
Heres a 629-2 Pre MIM non Mountain marked Mountain gun...

Going purely on memory, I think your 629-2 is a Mountain Revolver rather than a Mountain Gun. The Mountain Revolvers were made first and were not marked with their model name. S&W did not change anything except the name when they relabeled them Mountain Guns, and in this thread were calling commemoratives that also have their own names Mountain Guns so I'm happy with either label on yours.

Last edited by k22fan; 07-21-2011 at 02:41 AM.