Thread: Mountain guns
View Single Post

Old 07-21-2011, 02:40 PM

Liked 189 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALADIN85020 View Post
I did not realize that the blued .45 Colt Mountain Guns were all that rare. In spite of my misgivings about the damnable internal lock, I bought one new in the box in 2004. Here's a snapshot:

However, that lock and the fact that these guns would show holster wear in time gnawed on me, and I commenced a search for another .45 Colt Mountain Gun, but in stainless. I found it.

This is my idea of the perfect trail gun. It's a 625-6, dating from February of 1996. Note that it has no internal lock, and to boot, it has the traditional hammer-mounted firing pin.

John

Well John, you made me go to the safe & look. I stated in an earler post my 625-6 had a MIM hammer & trigger, it doesn't. They're forged, with the hammer nose firing pin. But the color case hardening doesn't look as good as yours. Mine also has the new style slant cylinder latch. I'm guessing yours has been changed, along with the (at least) front sight. I don't know why S&W put those nearly impossible to see black sights on a gun obviously intended for field carry, not paper targets.