Thread: Mountain guns
View Single Post

Old 07-21-2011, 07:28 PM
US Veteran

Liked 50,496 Times in 6,016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker50 View Post
Well John, you made me go to the safe & look. I stated in an earler post my 625-6 had a MIM hammer & trigger, it doesn't. They're forged, with the hammer nose firing pin. But the color case hardening doesn't look as good as yours. Mine also has the new style slant cylinder latch. I'm guessing yours has been changed, along with the (at least) front sight. I don't know why S&W put those nearly impossible to see black sights on a gun obviously intended for field carry, not paper targets.
Sounds like we think alike. Yes, I changed out the front sight for a red ramp type so that it would stand out in the field against any background. Also, as I detest the slant-style cylinder latch, I changed it out with one of the old-style latches. Since this gun is intended for open holster carry in the field, I equipped it with a set of round-to-square conversion Ahrends retro targets. This style of stock gives me plenty to hang onto. All of this plus an action job by Nelson Ford make it as perfect a field gun as I can think of. Handloads with 250-grain semiwadcutters over a charge of Unique that drive them to a little over 1000 fps complete the setup.

John