Thread: Mountain guns
View Single Post

Old 07-21-2011, 10:58 PM

Liked 189 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALADIN85020 View Post
Sounds like we think alike. Yes, I changed out the front sight for a red ramp type so that it would stand out in the field against any background. Also, as I detest the slant-style cylinder latch, I changed it out with one of the old-style latches. Since this gun is intended for open holster carry in the field, I equipped it with a set of round-to-square conversion Ahrends retro targets. This style of stock gives me plenty to hang onto. All of this plus an action job by Nelson Ford make it as perfect a field gun as I can think of. Handloads with 250-grain semiwadcutters over a charge of Unique that drive them to a little over 1000 fps complete the setup.

John
John, that's exactly the load I use in mine, accurate as can be, no leading, & pleasant to shoot. What else can you ask of it? The original Army requirement for the 45 Colt was to fully penetrate a horse at the shoulders. They determined that it would at about 900 fps, which was the original BP loading. That loading should handle most anything it would come up against. I actually prefer the new style cylinder latch, though. I find it much easier to operate, & more positive in operation. Different strokes, I suppose.