Thread: Duty to inform?
View Single Post

Old 07-23-2011, 12:46 PM

Liked 20,623 Times in 5,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKJ nut View Post
Correct, but I travel to other states so I got in the habit; if I am stopped I show the officer my carry permit along with my DL. If it is dark I do like cschoff and turn on the dome light and put both hands on the steering wheel. I don't have anything to hide and I don't want to make the officer nervous. If nothing else maybe it prevents me from being bright lighted with one of those gazillion candlepower lights.

I also don't get rude with the officer even if I think he is wrong. Speaking as a former officer I know there is no telling what he may of just dealt with. If i can can show common courtesy maybe it will ease things for both of us.
I figure the loose rounds and empty brass rolling out onto the ground when I open the door of my pickup is notification enough.

I don't do the 10/2 steering wheel thing, but I hand over both my DL and HCP at the same time. I've only been pulled over once in Tennessee and the cop never mentioned a thing about it.

Absolutely, I think being polite is key to a less than eventful stop. If the cop is being polite, be polite in return. If the cop is being a jerk, be polite in return. In all other circumstances, be polite.

My policy is to comply with all orders and deny requests--

May I search you car? = No sir, you do not have my permission.

Get out of the car now I am going to search this vehicle = Yes sir.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 07-23-2011 at 01:03 PM.