Thread: Duty to inform?
View Single Post

Old 07-24-2011, 10:23 AM

Liked 95 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Quartzsite View Post
In Arizona we are not required to inform an Officer when stopped for a traffic violation unless he asks.

My wife was stopped a few months ago for a minor infraction and as a courtesy to the Officer she volunteered the information that she had a CCW and was carrying. He went from being a semi-nice guy to accusing her of putting him in danger by carrying a gun. He retrieved her M&P from her purse, cleared the chamber and emptied the magazine and took everything to his car where he ran her information and the serial number on her gun. When he returned the cartridges were in a small plastic bag. He had her open the trunk and placed everything in the trunk and told her not to open it until she got home. From now on we both will abide by Arizona law and not volunteer any information about carrying a gun unless specifically asked by the Officer. He treated her like very badly and her attitude towards Police Officers took a serious downturn.
I have a friend who had his 1911 seized on the side of the road after he voluntarily informed. The LEO, who had obviously never handled a cocked and locked 1911 before, muzzled himself, my friend, and numerous passing motorists as he fumbled around trying to figure out how to "make the gun safe". Finally, after my friend more or less got rude with him for handling the gun so unsafe, the officer allowed my friend to walk him through the unloading procedure, step by step.

I'm not sure how ANYONE could think that a loaded gun is somehow more safe being handled on the side of the road, than it is left in it's holster.