View Single Post

Old 07-24-2011, 12:25 PM

Liked 6,774 Times in 1,312 Posts
Default Ways the old timers make money

I was listening the other day to how back when it was more of a barter society before we are what we are now how some folks used to make money. It's a shame that we can't get back to where if you had a skill you could just do what you wanted, without the permits, licenses, fees, tests and degrees.
I recall one guy telling me how they if they saw a porcupine, alive or recently deceased, they would take a large towel and throw it on the porky and then pull it off and sell the quills for $1 to the taxidermist. I remember reading how a pair of teenagers who wanted to buy a Winchester rifle didn't have any money so they went out and made up some railroad ties because the general store also sold those to the local railroad.
I remember my grandparents neighbors when I was a kid selling all the extra eggs to all the folks who lived nearby because at that time they were all the same age and had all lived in that area their whole lives. As they all passed on newer folks moved in and prefer the more expensive storebought eggs from who knows where.
Every Christmas my grandfather would sell a few Christmas trees off a piece of property of his, he never made alot of money, but he made some doing this and they were always cheaper than anything else. I wonder how our society is going to survive when everything is tossed out and we do as little for ourselves as possible. I know less and less people that go get their own fish, or barter items or can make things for themselves. I think we have far too much technology, and unfortunately there are some who would rather have us dependent on others for what we do instead of each other and ourselves.