View Single Post

Old 07-24-2011, 01:05 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 7,201 Times in 3,064 Posts

When I was a kid in the 40s my dad had a old chev pickup and we would pedal fruit and potatos. He would drive to northern wisconsin, buy potatoes, and then we would go to southern wisconsin and sell them house to house. My mother was born in the country store business, a very outgoing woman that seemed to know everybody, she drove a pickup to towns all over centeral wisconsin on town market days, sell vegatables, trade stuff etc. She did it still into her 70s. The oshkosh newspaper featuered a article on her once. I remember the folks would go out frogging. Catch frogs and sell to some medical outfit for pregnantcy tests. That was fun. I also sold worms and night crawlers as a 8 or 9 year boy. We lived in fishing country and I had a sign up in front of the house. Also I went with a uncle and we would trap minnows and sell them to bait shops. We grew sweet corn, watermellons, cantalope, raseberries, apples etc and sold them at moms fruit stand she had set up in front of the house. People nicknamed mom "apple mary".