View Single Post

Old 07-24-2011, 06:03 PM

Liked 184 Times in 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I made pretty good money shooting and selling Jackrabbits to a feller for mink food. White tails went for $.75 and black tails went for $.50. Don't ask me why the difference. I could never find out either.

Nylon 66 with a scope. Long Rifles cost $.50 a box. I fed cattle in a pickup all winter. Rabbits would be sittin' in their hole weatherin' out the storm. They din't want to move. A feller could drive within 25 to 30 yards. Aim for the eye, one shot, one rabbit. I'd usually get half a dozen a day and sell them when I had a hundred.

Did the same kind of thing on Thurs afternoons during college. Kept me in beer money for four years.
Iggy, my family had a Mink Ranch many many years ago. Believe me when I tell you the little buggers are better than we did. In the feed room we had a 6 cylinder Studebaker truck engine and a 3 speed manual transmission that turned the giant food grinder. This was built off of a large frame bigger than the original truck frame. Food came in the form of 50-100 pound frozen blocks that were tossed into the hopper of this giant grinder. 3 times a day the mink ate a mixture of this ground fish, chicken, and red meat. 3 times a day in the frozen winters of upstate New York. Sometimes as fast as you slopped in on top of the cage, it froze. In one year, the market for U.S. grown Mink pelts dwindled to nothing, the Europeans basically put the Americans out of business. The Europeans showed up in N.Y.C. with superior pelts that sold for half the price as ours. 95% of all U.S. Mink ranches went out in that one year. 26