Thread: Duty to inform?
View Single Post

Old 07-25-2011, 08:38 AM

Liked 3,658 Times in 617 Posts

"Documented"...let's have a few. It's "common"...must be HUNDREDS of cops treating CCW citizens awfully. Can't keep up with all of them. I just read a thread here regarding a citizen and his wife being treated with respect (in Ohio) twice. And there's a YouTube video of a policeman treating ANOTHER citizen well in CA...I guess that would be considered "common", too. Head in the sand? I doubt it; I was a cop for 24 years; I saw disrespect and respectful treatment, depending on the person being talked to. Anecdotal stories mean nothing; I would imagine that there were good reasons why citizens were treated rudely by cops. If not, the internal affairs people will deal with it if there's something amiss. That's my experience. Most departments (especially the big ones) are eager now to take complaints against their officers. That's reality, not "common" because someone on the internet said so. What I see here (on this thread) is a good bit of cop-bashing. I realize most people don't like the police; I was told in the Academy that if I wanted to be loved, join the fire dept. This is a good place to get in the anti-police sentment; very safe hiding behind the computer screen. Another forum engaged in this and several threads were locked because the anti-police, black helicopter crowd came out of the woodwork. It'll probably happen here, too. Too bad; this is a GREAT forum. The people I see here bashing cops aren't seen too much commenting on revolvers or S&W autos; I wonder why? My only comment now is that I worked 24 years as a cop; I don't appreciate the uninformed and frankly, stupid comments from people who haven't been there or done that. I saw LOTS of folks shot, beaten and otherwise rudely treated in 24 years, most all of them deserved it. Some, that didn't, made complaints and sometimes got satisfaction. That's the system; deal with it. Have YOU been treated incorrectly in a traffic stop or police contact when you informed the Officer? Let's hear it. We'll all comment and dispense advice. Otherwise, it's anecdotal and a non-issue.
Bob

Last edited by OIF2; 07-25-2011 at 08:42 AM.