Thread: Duty to inform?
View Single Post

Old 07-25-2011, 08:54 AM

Liked 9,184 Times in 3,621 Posts

Quote:
I would imagine that there were good reasons why citizens were treated rudely by cops. If not, the internal affairs people will deal with it if there's something amiss. That's my experience. Most departments (especially the big ones) are eager now to take complaints against their officers.
Sorry, that's just as unsupportable as "ALL cops are bad and are NEVER punished for it."

I can rattle off example after example of police who not only "disrespected" citizens, but committed serious crimes, up to and including murder, and were either never punished, were punished in no meaningful way, or were ONLY punished when the media got hold of the story (especially video) and the coverup collapsed under its own weight.

Can you tell me what "internal affairs" did in the following cases?

Kathryn Johnston in Atlanta
"SOS" home invasion ring in Chicago
Danziger bridge (and other) murders in New Orleans

Bad cops [naturally] tend to gravitate toward places where they're ALLOWED to be bad. Strangely, in those sorts of places, "internal affairs", to paraphrase Richard M. Daley, have a tendency to not "see nuttin'".

If we had to rely upon the Atlanta PD "internal affairs" for the TRUTH, people would still be running around claiming that Kathryn Johnston was a "drug dealer" and that she "shot some cops"... of course I'm sure that there ARE still people running around saying that... and some of them, even though they KNOW the truth.