View Single Post

Old 07-25-2011, 09:11 AM

Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts

I read this entire thread and was amazed that a 45 ACP was not considered a good hunting caliber by many. I think that caliber was used a long time ago in a very far away land and it dispatched a few water buffalo without a lot of fanfare and that’s a lot more animal than a whitetail or mulie.

I don’t think there’s any difference in killing power when a 0.452” cast slug weighing 240 to 260 grains is fired from a 45ACP or a 45 Colt at 950fps. Put in a heavier recoil spring in the 1911 platform and bump that velocity up to 1,050fps or so, if you feel you have a need for more power on either a whitetail or mulie.

To answer the OP’s question – If using commercial (factory) the 230 grain bonded jacketed bullets will provide the best chance for complete penetration (2-holes) – if you want to go with the 185 grain jacketed bullet the Barnes 185 TAC-XP will probably give you 2-holes as well.

Suppliers of commercial ammo which will more than meet your needs are Remington Bonded Golden Saber (not to be confused by the BJHP Golden Saber ammo, which means Brass Jacketed Hollow Point) and Winchester PDX1, which is also bonded. I’m sure there are other bonded versions out there that will work just as well. The non-bonded varieties will also work very well on thin skinned animals but aren’t as reliable relative to punching 2-holes – they will normally reach the vitals like any other 0.452” bullet.

Here’s a supplier of the 185 grain Barnes: 45 ACP SOLID DEFENSE X (SDX) Barnes 185 gr. HP +P

If you prefer cast, then you can go 200 to 255 grain hardcast and make 2-holes in deer sized game. Load your own or look at Buffalo Bore for commercial loads. BB has a couple, a 255 grain FN running at 925fps and 1,075fps. The hotter one needs a heavier recoil spring and maybe a buffer. Probably could punch 2-holes in hogs & black bear.