Thread: Duty to inform?
View Single Post

Old 07-25-2011, 10:35 AM

Liked 347 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigwy View Post
What about carrying per LEOSA, I feel like a jerk producing my retired ID. In years past I carrried a pistol in the glove compartment, when asked or the registration I then informed the officer that I have a gun in the glove compartment with the registration. Twice this has happened, twice they asked for a permit and I produced my retired Id card. Twice I didn't get a ticket I deserved. That isnt right, I don't mind telling the officer I have a gun, but I don't want any special treatment.
Great point. I get stopped and I hand over my DL.....I too dont like "Flashing the tin." It's disrespectful, and arrogant. Under LEOSA I do not belive there is any requirement to notify. That I believe would be up to an individual state. There may be some law requiring notification to notify if armed, but then that presents all kind of 5th Ammendment issues unless it specifically addresses LEOSA conduct.......states that make it illegal to transport firearms loaded in cars would now be saying, "Oh yeah Officer Friendly lock me up I have a gun." Before I had a permit and was carrying under LEOSA, I got pulled over. The gun was in the glove box next to my vehicle registration. I told the officer I had a firearm in the glove box before I put my hand in there to retrieve it and he asked why, " I told him I was retired and was carried the gun under LEOSA. We spent the next five minutes telling each other war stories.