View Single Post

Old 07-25-2011, 12:45 PM
US Veteran

Liked 50,372 Times in 6,009 Posts
Thumbs down I don't like the .44 special. Here's why...

First of all, it doesn't have the power of the .44 magnum. Ya gotta love touching off the maggie - it's like getting hit by a baseball bat in the palm of your hand. And the flash and roar! It's enough to scare everyone around you into the next zip code. Nah, the .44 special just shoves your hand when fired, and there's none of that flash-bang thrilling stuff. And you save on the costs of ammo with that magnum, also. After a couple of cylinders full, you really don't want to shoot much more. And as you get older, the shock traveling up your arm gets your joints in such disrepair that you pump more money into the economy by paying for doctors, salves, etc. It's good for the country.

Accuracy? Hey, the .44 mag has plenty of accuracy, given that you fire from a solid rest and resist your tendency to flinch and jerk that round into the ground or the sky in anticipation of that wonderful recoil I talked about. Yeah, the .44 special is plenty accurate, but will never be the equal of a nice Model 41 .22.

Reloading versatility? Hey, the .44 mag can be loaded up or down. It's just that your choice of powders may be somewhat limited given that you really should fill up that cavernous case for best accuracy. You can't stray too far from high velocity with powders like 2400. But, what the hey. Cleaning all that unburned powder out of the barrel is fun, right?

And that .44 special is just plain wimpy. It shoots like a .38 special. I give you that it puts some heavy lead downrange and can be loaded up a bit to bear-stopping capability, but how many of us shoot bears today? I mean, really!

And those .44 special guns are so damn light. Real men carry iron and the .44 maggies have plenty of it. Give one of those to someone else to heft, and they'll remark on how much of a man you must be to pack it!

So there you have it. I just don't like the .44 special. To prove it, I only have these four guns chambered for it. It's one caliber I can do without...NOT.

John