View Single Post

Old 07-27-2011, 05:25 AM
US Veteran
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
Smile RCBS Large Reloading Presses

I own a number of RCBS reloading presses, including the
"Junior" press, the "Rockchucker", and the larger presses such as the original "A" (A1), A2, A3, and A4 ("Big Max").

The "A" was the very first RCBS press, and is an olive drab color. It is used, but in fine shape. I never used it.

The A2, A3, and A4 (Big Max) are still NIB. Does anyone know the relative merits of these 3 presses? I have been told that the A2 was the best quality one, although the next 2 were slightly larger and more powerful.

It's something like comparing pre-war S&W revolvers with Bangor Punta revolvers, where the pre-war ones were better quality fitting and smoothness, but the later ones had better heat treating and minor functional improvements.

I recently bought a Redding Turret Press, and it can possibly replace all my other presses. It is very heavy, and may be even stronger than the huge Big Max (A4). It reminds me of the old "Hollywood Sr." Turret Press in the 1960's, which was massive. (And extremely expensive even then).

Anybody out there with experience or knowledge of A2, A3, A4 presses? I may want to keep one of them and sell the other 2.

Thanks