View Single Post

Old 07-28-2011, 07:38 AM

Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts

Recommend you get the M&P9 withOUT magazine or frame safeties, a good Bladetech holster, several magazines, and a case of 9mm. Take the price difference between the P30 and M&P9 and attend a good three day "basic tactical pistol" course and learn how to employ a handgun in a fight.

A safety is not needed on either pistol (unlike your M1911). Like your M1911 you have to keep your thumb on top of the safety lock 100% of the time the pistol is in your hand or it will be ON when you must have it OFF.

I consider the P30 about the least desirable HK pistol available today. A quick message doesn't provide the space for this discussion, but the HK45C, P2000, and USP Compact are better handling pistols.

Based on "demands" of the North American market the HK P30 can be obtained in a clumsy DA/SA version with an even more redundant safety lock lever, or as a LEM (law enforcement modification) trigger without dinguses (see the HK45C photo below). The LEM system, with the right springs, can be setup up to produce a very nice ~5 pound trigger every shot.

It is indisputable that a DA/SA trigger requires much more training and practice to master the first long 10 pound trigger pull followed by a short 5 pound pull for subsequent shots. You can master it, but why bother?

The M&P9 with Apex Tactical parts will produce a nice 5 pound trigger as well.

Since the "perfect pistol" is literally a lifetime quest you may want to try an HK pistol. Mechanical differences of hammer vs. striker fired pistols aside, my HK45C and M&P9 pistols have the same 5.3 pound trigger pull every time. No encumbrance levers. The HK45C is Light LEM.

It's hard to beat the M&P9 in this market though and I recommend it highly.

-- Chuck

Last edited by chuck s; 07-28-2011 at 07:40 AM.