View Single Post

Old 07-28-2011, 10:40 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 1,865 Times in 440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Star View Post
Pattern 1937 web holsters intended for five-inch barrels were used for all .38's, including S&W's. Obviously, shorter or longer barrels weren't ideal, but from photos, seem to have been used, regardless.
If other holsters were used, I've seen only a very few leather flap ones that looked a lot like the web ones with the flap. One was made in Australia and had a grained effect.

Tankers had open-top rigs on a long drop loop with ammo loops on the front of the holster. You can see some probably on Gunboards in the British Gun Pub. Some have been shown here. Perusing books on WW II will provide additional looks. And some authors mention their sidearms. Alas, they often just refer to a "revolver" or a ".38 revolver." Some .455's also remained in use, and the Commandos usually issued Colt .45 autos. I've seen pics of them in what look exactly like the Pattern '37 web .38 rig and a very similar one with a different closure strap, a bit larger to fit the Colt auto. You can see Sean Connery use a holster like this (Pattern 37 .38, I think) in, "A Bridge Too Far." He had a Colt auto, like many of the paratroopers in the actual Arnhem battle. One photo taken during the battle shows a paratrooper advancing, .45 auto in hand. Some also had Browning 9mm's, so you have to look very carefully at wartime photos. Connery portrayed Maj. Gen. Roy Urqhardt (sp?) and I;'ve seen a pic of the real general. He had a holster like that, but I've no idea what was in it.

Thanks for the help. I believe I have found one.