View Single Post

Old 07-28-2011, 10:04 PM
US Veteran

Liked 308 Times in 108 Posts

If you are new to reloading, and plan on loading for more than one caliber, I would strongly suggest that you not start off with a progressive press.
Start with a basic single stage press. You need to learn the process of reloading before you jump into a complicated machine. There are many concepts that will become clear as you go, concepts that are harder to grasp with a progressive.
I have to state that I have never owned a progressive press, I've been loading since 1980 on an RCBS 'Rockchucker', it has loaded tens of thousands of rounds of pistol and rifle ammo and is still going strong. A single stage will satisfy almost all your reloading needs (unless you are a high volume competion shooter), is more versatile and cheaper than a Dillon.
I've never regretted owning this press, actually I have two now, one I use for belling/expanding and the other for all other steps.
As for model, that is kind of like asking which is the best car, hard to answer. Personally I would stick with an RCBS or Redding press, don't start with a cheap press it is the foundation you'll build on. Get a quality machine, you'll be happier with it longer. Quality never goes down in value, economy never comes up.
Others may disagree on the model of SS, but I think the consensus for a beginning reloader will favor the single stage over the progressive. You can always move to a progressive if you get into the hobby of reloading, but I think that starting out with one will confuse and aggrevate you, especially if you want to change calibers often.
RD