View Single Post

Old 07-29-2011, 01:57 AM
Banned

Liked 576 Times in 307 Posts

Personally, I see nothing wrong with using a progressive to start off with. There are some minimum requirements though that eliminate it form being the first choice for everyone.

How mechanically adept are you? That is the first thing that needs to be answered. How do you learn new things best? Can you read manuals and work things out or do you get frustrated and give up on stuff? Is there anyone in your area that can help you in person should you get into trouble?

If you find yourself answering no to more than one of those things, get a simple press to start with. Learn the process. What is the first step, second, third and fourth and fifth and........Go slow and learn.

That would mean that it would be better to get a single stage press or a Lee Classic Cast Turret press. I lean very heavily on the latter, here is why: It can be used very simply as a single stage but it will hold all of the dies in one tool head and after you get it set up and running right with your components, it will stay set up. Not only that, they are less expensive.

Now, the fact they are less expensive should tell you something. They are NOT the machine that the Dillons are. The Dillon press is the best there is on the market right now. As has been stated, the Hornady LNL is a good one too. After that presses in current production and quality falls off drastically. Stay away from the Lee progressive presses unless you have a death wish. (Just kidding) They take a lot of tinkering with to make work right.

If you don't learn the process properly, all a progressive will do is allow you to make bad ammo faster.

I have 3 Square Deal presses and 2 XL650's too. Make the evaluation on my aforementioned criteria though and you should do well.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: