View Single Post

Old 07-29-2011, 05:36 PM

Liked 347 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltgun View Post
Anybody know the best most effective hardball ammo to carry in a Kel Tec P3at 380 for self defense?
I am not a ballistics expert but I looked this question up in "AMMO AND BALLISTICS-FOURTH EDITION" You can get this book at Barnes and Nobel and probably via Amazon. Looking at the .380 ammo it appears that FIOCCHI 90 GRN fmj MAY be the most potent .380 "hardball" available. You asked about 'HARDBALL FOR 'MOUSE GUNS." According to the book here is what Fiocchi gives you. 920 muzzle velocity 169 foot lbs of energyx,Taylor KO index of 4.7 @ 25 yards.. there is data out to 200 yds but that is frankly ridiculous for a .380

The absolute best the book gives is for UltraMax 115 RNL Muzzel Velocity of 900 207 ft lbs energy and Taylor KO index of 5.3 From what I can tell all the .380 regardless of bullett style is between 4.2 and 5.3 with the average of 4.5.......not bad...not good but look at the rapist who got dusted by a meager .22 shot placement....I find the Fiocchi works very well in my KelTec .380 and it has eaten everything I have fed it, yet the guy at the gun store said he has had customers complain of Corbon JHP......