View Single Post

Old 07-29-2011, 11:14 PM

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
I fully second, third, or forth (whatever the count is up to at this point) the Lee Classic four hole turret press.

The only other one I would look at is the Dillon BL 550 that will do the same thing for more money, but has the bonus of being buildable into the RL 550B down the road.

And before you buy anything, buy and read two or three times the "ABC's of Reloading" now in its 9th edition. And read it over again. And again.

And again.
Well kind of. A turret press still require 4 pulls of the handle to make one round, the 550B is a manual indexing progressive that produces 1 round everytime you pull the handle, that would make it at least twice as fast as any turret.
I like the LCT, most reloaders really do NOT need a progressive of any kind. At an easy 200rds/hr, the turret keeps up with most shooters. If you shoot 200rds a week, easily done on a LCT. If you go much beyond that & have limited time, then a progressive by Hornady, RCBS or DIllon will certainly save you time but at a cost.
My only rub w/ the SDB back when I bought my first 550, was it used Dillon only dies & I already had 4-5 dies set. So A 550 was what I ended up with & it is a great progressive to learn because it easily loads one round at a time or 4 at a time. It will also accept any dies set, so if you decide to load something later, like rifle rounds or the 357sig, it can be done on the 550B, not a SDB. If you are only going to load pistol, the SDB is a solid progressive that will last you years. If your friend was making bad ammo on one, he needs to look in the mirror.