View Single Post

Old 07-30-2011, 01:22 AM

Liked 58 Times in 27 Posts

I started reloading on my friend's Lee Loadmaster. I bought the Hornady LnL a few months later. He bought the LnL 4 years later and wonders why he spent all that time working on his press instead of making bullets.

If you are going to shoot a few hundred bullets a month you might be OK with a single stage. If you are going to shoot 2-300 per week you are just kidding yourself.

Learning on a good progressive is simple. I've taught a few guys on mine. Set it up. Insert the dies. Load one round. Watch it go through all the stages.

You cannot do that on a single stage press.

After you have loaded a few, maybe a few hundred, load two at a time. Most of my friends are comfortable going to two after 50-100 rounds of singles. Load three until comfortable. Load four, load five.

I like the LnL because it auto indexes, advances the shell plate with the pull of the handle.

Go slow. I routinely make 200 per hour including the filling of primer tubes. I can make more, but it feels like work, and it is a hobby.

One of my friends was loading for pistol on a single stage. He came over to my house and ran my press. He ordered one that day.
The Following User Likes This Post: