View Single Post

Old 08-03-2011, 05:24 PM

Liked 12,802 Times in 4,228 Posts

You're probably going to get a lot of different lubrication methods. I think the key is that, no matter which method you end up using, you lubricate sparingly. Revolvers don't require a lot of lubrication, and you don't need to remove the sideplate to do it. I do think it's generally a good idea to open the sideplate maybe every year or so (depending on how much you shoot the gun) for a thorough cleaning and inspection. I would also open the sideplate for cleaning and inspection if the gun gets exposed to the elements.

Here's what I do to lubricate my revolvers. I start with a drop on either side of the hammer and dry-fire a few times (not an option on Centennials). Then a drop on either side of the trigger with the gun upside down and dry-fire a few times. I wipe off any excess. Then I remove the cylinder and yoke. I put a drop on the yoke barrel and spread it around the yoke barrel's surface with a patch or rag. Then I put a drop of oil on the extractor rod and spread it around with a patch or rag. I make sure not to get any oil inside the cylinder. I wipe it down with a dry rag and reassemble. At this point I also usually check to make sure that all the screws and the extractor rod are tightened properly. I do this about every month or so if I've been dry-firing/shooting the gun a lot. FYI, I use Gun Butter, but any good gun lubricant will do. Many people have had good results with motor oil or ATF.