View Single Post

Old 08-05-2011, 02:46 PM
US Veteran

Liked 90 Times in 49 Posts

One would think it would never happen to them if they followed the 2 simple rules of never pointing the muzzle in an un-safe direction and always treating the gun as if it were loaded. I agree.

Reality is, that we are still human, subject to a lapse in concentration or subject to being distracted, if only for a moment. Therein lies the flaw. Some of the safest and most highly trained gun handlers still experience accidental discharges from time to time. Sometimes it is due to mechanical failure. Other times it is a result of the flaw (being human).

Thankfully, most of the time the bullet flies harmlessly off into a berm or the ground. Sadly, in a few instances the gun handler is shot. If he is luckly he lives to tell about it, giving us all cause to take a moment to reflect on our own gun handling practices and do a reality check. Hopefully, as a result, we are made safer through knowledge of this other persons bad experience.

When I hear of these instances I try and say quietly in my own thoughts,"but for the grace of GOD, there goes I".