View Single Post

Old 08-07-2011, 01:56 PM

Liked 28,938 Times in 14,012 Posts

I had forgotten to mention that. Many V-models were converted postwar from .38 S&W to .38 Special. The .38 S&W case is slightly larger in diameter than the .38 Special case. The chamber modification involved the enlarging the diameter ahead of the existing .38 S&W chamber so that the .38 Special case could be inserted. When the .38 Special cartridge is fired in such a modified chamber, the rear of the case will bulge slightly under pressure. It's probably not actually dangerous, as I have never heard of a .38 Special cartridge case rupturing, and there were many thousands of .38 S&W revolvers so converted. For example, the S&W revolver allegedly used by Lee Harvey Oswald to shoot Officer J. D. Tippet of the Dallas PD had been converted like this.

My take is that if all chambers will accept .38 Special cartridges, that indicates the revolver has probably been converted by boring the chambers. If so, the conservative approach would be to use .38 S&W ammunition only. However, using .38 Special ammunition would likely be safe. If you wish to use .38 Special ammunition, I would not recommend using anything other than standard factory loads - no +P loads.

By the way, at a gun show this morning I found a Navy V-model (.38 Special), the asking price being $350. It was original, but somewhat worn, so I'd call it Good condition, or maybe a little better than that. I didn't make an offer, so no way to tell what price the seller would have accepted. Many V-models remained in U. S. (and probably UK) military service for many years after WWII.

Last edited by DWalt; 08-07-2011 at 02:08 PM.