View Single Post

Old 08-07-2011, 07:39 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default SR40 vs SD40- a review

After owning both firearms I'd like to do a comparative review of both for those who may be researching buying one or the other. I've seen alot of comparison between the SD and Glock or the SR and Glock, but the Smith and Ruger would both be right at the same price point (new) unlike the Glocks. I've owned both for a few months and would like to share some results.

SR40 purchased for $389 before tax

First, the Ruger SR40 is a nice looking gun.
-Slim fit with good grip angle.
-2 interchangeable backstraps
-3dot adjustable sights
-15+1 capacity
-Ambidextrous safety
-SS slide (now available in the black nitrodox slides).
-Very tight slide to frame fit, tight mag seating.
-Trigger was pretty good-slight grittiness, but not bad with a good short reset.
-Primer strikes were good, but not really that nice "punch" per se that I like.

On the first outing I cleaned it, loaded up with some Federal 165 gr FMJ, took aim and bang, bang, click. Jam. So I cleared the round, made another shot, then a second jam on the following round. I tried some Winchester PDX1 180gr JHP to no avail, same results. I tried the other mag that came with the gun and still got the same results. I put it up, and would have it shipped back to Ruger on Monday morning. Despite the issues with this gun in particular I can say all the hype about the low recoil factor is true. The low bore axis definatley helps in this aspect. Kicks noticeably less than other .40 cal pistols I have shot. Accuracy was good enough for me though I'm no competition shooter. Surely it can shoot better than I, as long as I do my part. Magazine capacity is 15, however that 15th round is a PITA to insert as well as seat the magazine. I loaded it to 14 and let it be. As far as the Polymer goes, it seems rather "soft" to me. Not that many would care, but it was an observation. Seemed as if it wasn't a high density "rough" type that could take abuse like a Glock, M&P, XD, etc.. When I cleaned it, a tad bit of RemOil got on the frame and no matter what I did to clean it, it left a small stain that I couldn't get off.

Took Ruger a little over a week to get it back to me, they said there was some slight burring on the camfer of the feedramp that was re-polished and supposedly they replaced the extractor for free?? lol. Anyhow, I managed to get 50 rounds out of it flawlessly when it came back, but decided on selling it. I also took note of a scratch on the slide that had not been there when I sent it off carefully packaged, but didn't bother calling them back on it.

SD40 purchased for $399 before tax.

S&W SD40-
-A little wider than the SD but a great grip angle...feels like an extension of the hand and easily to acquire sights with target.
-M&P Trijicon front sight (that are awesome) with 2 dot adjustable in the back.
-14+1 capacity.
-Slide to frame has much looser tolerances than the SR. Magazines rattle, but after a while you get used to it. Traded mine out with some Sigma mags and no more rattle.
-Nice silky looking melonite finish on the slide. Rugged polymer frame with lil finger dimple above trigger if you want to use it??
-The trigger is a tad heavier than the SR and not silky smooth, but I feel safer with it and prefer it actually. Reset is good.
-Nice hard punch to the primer

At the range, to be honest I did a "no-no" and shot the gun without cleaning it thoroughly first...but- it performed flawlessly. Fast forward- I have now put over 1000 rounds through the SD with FMJ, JHP, cheap brands, expensive brands, reloads and not 1 single issue to complain about. I would trust this gun whenever forbid I need it most. I love it and it goes wherever I go. It does kick more than the SD, but about even with many other .40's on the market. Smith and Wesson has surely made a fine pistol for those in the "middle" price range. With those 1000+ rounds, my accuracy has greatly improved, and sure enough the trigger pull is a little smoother too.

This review was from my point of view with the guns that I purchased. YMMV.

Thanks

Last edited by scandmx5; 08-07-2011 at 07:44 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: