View Single Post

Old 08-09-2011, 12:32 AM

Liked 155 Times in 88 Posts

I rented an LCP and the BG to shoot side-by-side before I made my decision.

I have an EAR series BG. I've had no troubles with the trigger, which is smooth (and heavy) and predictable.

The laser, however, has not been my best friend. The left side button is virtually useless (though the right side button works pretty well). Worse, the laser worked intermittently while shooting at the range last week. I practiced using the sights, which is never a bad idea since there are plenty of scenarios in which I'll only have the sights.

I took it apart and removed the laser. (The takedown lever was nearly impossible!) The contact switches on the laser body worked with a light touch, so the problem is obviously the rubber contact pads. I'm thinking about calling S&W and asking for another pad to see if that helps. Also, I can't troubleshoot the intermittent operation because the laser now works all the time. Go figure.

I put 100 rounds through it. My hand hurt by the end of that. I started by practicing slow and steady shots. This gun is not easy to shoot, but what makes it difficult to shoot is what makes it a great carry gun for me. By the end, I was putting double and triple taps into the target. I found that aiming at the silhouette's chin gave me shots in the neck and torso, which is great. It's hard to rapidly pull the trigger on this gun and keep the sights perfecly aligned, but it is easy, easy, EASY to put back on target after the muzzle flips.

It's true that you can buy a lot of guns that are easier to shoot. For a CC gun, I consider that to be so much stuff and nonsense. When scared out of your mind, you'll not be concerned with fine motor skills because you won't have any. You'll rely only on practice and repetition to hit the bad guy, and that will be true regardless of the gun in your hand.

You know, we could have this debate (and probably have) about the M&P line. I also own an M&P9 full size, and compared to my father-in-laws STI GP6C, it's difficult to shoot because the trigger is lousy. For a while I thought "I should have bought a better gun" but I eventually rejected that mentality. My job is to get good shooting whatever is in my hand, regardless of how cooperative the weapon is. And if I only practice with an easy gun, I think I'm not expanding the limits of my skill. I'm now as good with the M&P as I am with the GP6C, even though I find one much easier to shoot than the other.