View Single Post

Old 08-10-2011, 06:07 PM

Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadranger View Post
What's going to make any magazine hard to seat when the slide is locked back, there's nothing to interfer with it seating, no reason to slam it in, just insert it until it locks in place. As a LE firearms instrctor, we teach to give the magazine a little tug to make sure it is seated, then manually release the slide by pulling it fully to the rear to get all of the spring that you paid for, and let the slide run forward to reload the gun. If one hand is all that is available, one can use the slide stop to release the slide, or a boot heel , or whatever else is there. Think about reloading an auto with one hand while you slam in a magazine. Auto pistols are not designed to slam and close, it's unsafe at best and could lead to damage to your gun and magazines. Bob!
Roadranger-

Your post made me think about what I wrote about having to slam the 10 round Ca mags. You are right, I was confusing my dificulty in seating a full 10 round mag during a tac-reload, or during an IDPA match when reloading with retention versus seating a mag at slide lock. Wierd thing is, I just pulled out my pistol and when I gently insert the mag, then give it a sharp hit (not necessarily hard) with my palm, the pistol auto forwards. When I give it the same sharp hit with no magazine in it at all it does the same thing. Pretty sure it is the slight shock to the grip that causes the slide to move back slightly and lose contact with the slide stop. Having just done this drill several times, I can see no way that the slide could move forward on a M&P and not chamber a round regardless of what causes the slide to be released. YMMV