View Single Post

Old 08-13-2011, 11:26 AM

Liked 9,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luis View Post
FYI as per my local dealer. Any dealer in NY or out of NY selling to someone in NY has to agree in writting to supply the state a complete copy of their bound book and 4473 if requested. My dealer did not like the idea of telling one state everything and they could then give the information away.
I've been an 01FFL in NYS for 40yrs. Also have had a NYS Firearms Dealers (and Gunsmith) License which is needed here if you as an 01FFL also wish to deal in handguns or do gunsmithing work on them.

That NYS dealers lic requires a separate form to be filled out and sent to the NYSP with every handgun transaction (aquisition, disposition, gunsmithing). A separate bound book is also kept for the NYS handgun transactions.
I've been checked a total of once in all this time by the NYSP in a compliance check re:the NYS license.

Never have I seen anything that states anyone other than the NYS licensed dealer or gunsmith has to do this paperwork or send it in to NYSP.
Nothing about giving up a copy of the 4473 or either/both bound books to anyone other than L/E.

One quirk in the NYS pistol laws is that a Licenced Dealer or Gunsmith(NYS) cannot receive a handgun from out of state from anyone other than another FFL.
Fed law allows of course,,but a case of State law stepping in the way with their own reg.

Numrichs policy may be based more on politics than anything else.
Bending somewhat trying to stay in the good graces of local politicians.
They need their FFL to continue business but they also realize it could be easily gone if certain zoning, business, polution, security, etc standards aren't met. Those standards could easily be jacked up on them too,,especially w/EPA inspections.

They're not in NYC but are downstate enough to be heavily influenced by NYC. Their business over the years has been not only small arms parts, but also full auto (which is not available to NY residents BTW).

They may have been feeling the pinch of Bloombergs policys and rants and there may even be a quiet move to push Numrich out of the area.

Numrich used to be way out of the way in the Catskills.
But it's just accross the hill from the site of the original Woodstock concert. So alot of boomers consider the area sacred ground and are moving into some nice digs around there.
Many never left.
They get into the town, county and village politics and many have negative feelings about firearms.

Just some thoughts.