View Single Post

Old 08-13-2011, 08:43 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Model 36-1 Value?

A local dealer has this Model 36-1. It's a J frame, rounded butt wood grips, about 3" barrel, but it's not the typical chief's special I'm used to seeing - this one has the adjustable rear sights.

It locks up tight, has a crisp trigger & VG bore. Unfortunately, when someone reblued the barrel, they didn't leave it in the pot long enough & it's got that nasty plum/purple color to it. Also, an orange front sight insert was installed & looks like someone dremelled a light divot into one side of the sight blade. Light drag marks on the cylinder. Looks to have been carried after the botched blue job, & the wood medallion grips have wear thru the finish & down into bare wood.

The guy wants $375 for it & has a rep as a hard-***** on his pricing. In light of the fact that I'll need to put more $$ into it for a proper reblue + wood finish & maybe a new front sight (looks liker the insert was just glued into place & I'd expect it to shoot out in short order).

Is this a reasonable price? How common is the model 36-1 with adjustable sights?