View Single Post

Old 08-15-2011, 03:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know it's not a S&W, but I have an Enfield N02 MKI* that I have just handloaded some 38/200 for. I used RP cases, WSP primers, & a 200 gr. LRNPB .360" bullet (not "boolit" which is a "word" I DESPISE because it reeks of ignorance) from Western Bullet Company. I had some trouble finding data for this old warhorse load though. I referenced Hornaday, Speer, Sierra, & Lyman manuals and could find nothing for a 200 gr. pill. The load data that came with my Lee dies had some data for a 195 lead bullet but not for any powder that I use. I ended up researching the net to see what loads of Unique others had been using. I basically found every load between 2.4 gr through 3.3 gr. Oddly enbough all of these folks quoted similar velocities from these loads which makes me skeptical. I finally decided on a middle of the road load of 2.7 gr of Unique. I have not tested them yet but when I do I'll post results. One thing that strikes me as odd is how some folks will praise the 38 SPL or at least say that it's adequate but will talk about the 38/200 like its a BB gun. I have to think (& will check) that the 38/200 has to be at least as effective as a 38 SPL with lighter bullets. And while I read posts about it's bad reputation in WWII, the only reference I can find to this reputation is Americans who were not in the Brit Amry or even in WWII for that matter! I also read alot (on forums) about how the idea was for the bullet to tumble. I could be wrong but I don't buy into this because the acceptance tests mostly involved penetration. I would think (but need to verify) a 200 gr. LRN (or 178 gr. rn fmj) traveling slow enough to not deform much would compare well to what a 38 SPL would do. And let's not forget that it DID compare well when compared to the 455 with its 265 gr. LRN. In any event I am rooting for the under dog but will let the facts bourne out by my (& others' verified) tests, and not just old hear say from folks who wern't there or havn't even fired a 38/200 before. If I am wrong I will admit it ASAP, we'll just have to see. As an aside, if someone asked me to wear a catcher's mit & go out in the street and let them lob a few 38/200's (or even standard 38 S&W) at me, I would decline. My intent for this little revolver is to use it as a camping companion. I think it would be adequate protection from any 2 or 4 legged varmint in the Colorado Rockies that I am likely to encounter. I suppose if it's an ornery bear or moose I'd be out of luck. I would also use it on small game and such.

Last edited by coloradosherpa; 08-15-2011 at 03:37 AM.