View Single Post

Old 08-16-2011, 11:54 AM
US Veteran

Liked 50,499 Times in 6,017 Posts
Default Pentagon considering scrapping military pensions...

Admin Edit-
If we can discuss this without general political carping, it can go on.

If not, it won't go on.

I was shocked to read news reports that the Pentagon has been instructed to consider scrapping military pensions and replacing them with something like a 401(k) plan.

The thought is that active duty military people can contribute up to 16.5% of their pay, matched by the government. Investments will NOT be protected from stock and other investment swings.

I wonder which whiz kid in the current administration thought this one up, and who is pushing it at what level? Our military people do not have ordinary jobs. They are all volunteers who have pledged in their youth to protect our country at the possible cost of their lives. They commit their youthful years to the country, and as a reward, the country has traditionally promised to help take care of them via a pension as they get older. This ill-conceived plan would be a breach of faith, in my opinion.

The military is underpaid as it is, and to ask them to contribute a sizable portion of their inadequate pay because the country isn't willing to help support them when they get older is unconscionable. Imagine a PFC having to lose part of his pay - it would put him on food stamps!

I mean, good grief; what's next? I think our next President should have some appreciation of the military and what they do for us; it would be even nicer if that person was a veteran. Giving lip service is not enough; the country needs to continue to step up to the plate for military retirees. This whole idea stinks.

John

Last edited by handejector; 08-19-2011 at 06:52 PM.