View Single Post

Old 08-16-2011, 01:02 PM

Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticSire View Post
I seriously hope that this comment was meant as a joke.
I took it as being sarcastic (a joke). Most of the pension failures around the Country is because municipalities did not make their required contributuions. My pension was 8% of my salary with another 8% by the City of New York. When the City refused to give us raises, the State legislature made the City add another 2% to the pension, lowering our contribution rate to 6%. In most cases the City would say "There is enough in the fund where we do not have to put in our contribution". Even with that, NYC pensions are in great shape compared to other municipalities.

The problem with SSI is that the government has been raiding it for so many years.

A 401k type of pension plan may work out better than a government pension, but that would rely upon a teenage kid (fighting military men/women) making wise choices in their investments.

We can never, ever repay what our Military does for us. They deserve a thriving pension. As a matter of fact, they deserve enhancements, because they are the only people in this Country who really earn it.