View Single Post

Old 08-16-2011, 09:19 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,167 Times in 309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter123 View Post
Fact is the those who serve long term in the military receive training that cannot be matched by any university in the world, don't have to pay 800-1600 dollars a month for health insurance, and come out with abilities and contacts that make private sector employers just drool.
Really? Yeah, I have a hard time getting to my mailbox everyday because of all the contractors waiting outside my door to hire me. They're all drooling over the opportunity to hire a guy with two bad knees, chronic degenerative disc disease, asthma, and diabetes, all of which are service-connected. But none of which are bad enough for a disability rating according to the VA. Oh, and the "free" medical care? Nope, once you turn 60, you have to sign up for Medicare and Medicaid which then become your PRIMARY insurance. Your VA health benefits become secondary.

Quote:
Yeah, the pay starting out is terrible compared to the private sector, but once you've put in 10 or 15 years you start to achieve equity and once you do retire you'll be looking at private sector salaries that make up for that lousy pay for the first 10 years in just about 2-5 years working on the private side. Fact is that any service member who serves for 20 years or more will be a multimillionare at 65 if he has any sense at all with his choices in service and his spending after leaving the service.
Well, I guess I must have not had any sense, then, because I darn sure ain't gonna make millionaire status. I'm sure the multiple times I had to pay for two households due to being a "geographical bachelor", the "pay for your travel now and you'll get reimbursed" but the money never showed up, the money spent replacing equipment that the Army refused to take back even though it was legitimate fair-wear-and-tear, the money spent at civilian doctors because Tri-Care says that the services should only cost X but the Doctor charges Y, yeah, none of that had anything to do with it.

Quote:
The simple fact is the military pension structure today doesn't bear any resemblance to the military pension structure back in 1900 and it's one facet of why our deficit is out of control. Admittedly, it's a small facet but if we are ever going to start cutting entitlements it has to be across the board. In addition restructuring the military pension system would allow those who are just starting out in the military to be paid at a more equitable level than what is currently in place. Fact is that most of our military who actually face fire receive pay that is just shameful for the risk they face and if someone with 20-30 years in has to wait until they are 60 to get a pension to allow our boots to be paid equitably I'm all for it.
And I'm sure glad that someone who has never spent one minute in a hostile fire zone is such an expert on how those of who have should have our retirement monies distributed. What seat in Congress do you occupy?