View Single Post

Old 08-16-2011, 11:34 PM
US Veteran

Liked 33,825 Times in 5,284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS1 View Post
I saw this and it just irritates the hell out of me. I retired with the 50% pension plan and that was one of the main reasons I stayed in to make it a career. I wonder if that new plan will also be applied to the other Federal agencies that have 20 year retirements? If I'm not mistaken (and I might be), don't armed Federal law enforcement officers also have a 20 year retirement plan? Seems to me when I read somewhere this includes the Border Patrol, FBI, etc.
We've always been under a different retirement system (FERS). LE positions (also firemen and air traffic controllers) can retire after 20, as long as they're at least 50 years old. I'm eligible next month (I came in at 32, after 8 1/2 years active duty USAF), and I'm mandatory at 57. Retirement is a combination of fixed benefit and govt 401k.

If it makes anyone feel better, our current system is also under the knife.

I was sure a lot more popular when I worked for DOD rather than DOJ. What a difference one letter makes!

I bet any changes would be phased in, so service members close to retirement wouldn't be affected by a new plan.